Intro to RawFebruary 25, 2015
Matcha BitesMarch 17, 2015
We endured the coldest February on record in Toronto. Spring could not come any sooner. While we wait for the temperatures to slowly warm up, the snow to melt, green grass and flowers to emerge, why not add a pop of color to your life with berry ombré “cheese” cake? You’d be surprised by how much the combination of nuts, coconut oil, coconut butter and sweetener taste like a traditional cheese cake filling. The major difference is that this one is 100% dairy-free, gluten-free, raw and vegan!
Berry Ombré Cake
Equipment needed: high-speed blender, food processor, spring-form pan
- 1. Crust
- 2 cups raw macadamia nuts
- 6 dates, pitted
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2. Filling
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked 6 hours
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons agave
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3. Berry Layer
- 4 cups raspberries or mix of raspberries, blueberries, blackberries
- 4 dates, pitted
- To make the crust, place the macadamia nuts in a food processor and process until ground. Add additional crust ingredients and combine. Fill tart pan.
- To make the filling, blend all ingredients until smooth. Spread onto crust and chill in fridge for several hours or until set.
- To make the berry layer, blend ingredients in food processor. Spread evenly on top of filling and chill in fridge until set.
- Garnish with fresh berries. Enjoy!