Matcha BitesMarch 17, 2015
Cucumber SoupApril 6, 2015
Celebrate spring with carrot cake! It’s truly amazing how delicious raw cakes are. I come from a family of bakers and I’ve seen firsthand how much time and effort goes into baking desserts. In comparison, raw desserts can easily be prepared within 20 minutes. All of the raw vegan desserts that I make are 100% dairy-free, gluten-free and refined sugar-free. I made this carrot cake for my dad’s birthday and it was even a big hit with my five year old nephew. Carrots are loaded with vitamin A, which helps improve vision, and also provide numerous health benefits, including healthier skin, cancer prevention, and anti-aging.
Equipment needed: food processor, high-speed blender, 6-inch spring-form pan
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free oat flour (make the flour by processing gluten-free rolled oats into a flour)
- 2 cups medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Chopped pistachios to garnish
- 2 cups cashews, soaked for 2 hours
- 1/3 cup sweetener (coconut nectar, maple syrup or raw honey)
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Water, as needed
- To make the cake, first peel and cut the carrots into small chunks. Combine carrots and additional ingredients in your food processor and pulse until it all sticks together.
- To make the frosting, blend all ingredients in your high-speed blender until smooth. Add a little bit of water, if needed. Approximately 1/4 cup or more.
- To assemble the cake, place half the cake mix into a spring-form pan. Spread less than half of the frosting on the cake. Put in your freezer until set. Press the rest of the cake mix on top of the bottom layer. Top with remaining frosting and garnish with chopped pistachio. Enjoy!