Roasted Beet and Tahini Nibbles with SumacJanuary 1, 2017
Warm and Spicy Cauliflower Soup with LeeksJanuary 10, 2017
Need a comforting and healthy dish to warm up with on these cold, winter days? This Coconut, Lentil and Two Bean Stew is a recipe I’ll be making time and again. Made with lentils, black beans and white navy beans, you can trust that you’ll be getting lots of protein to fuel your day. While legumes can be difficult for some to digest, addings spices like turmeric, ginger and cumin in the stew helps break down the lentils and beans so that they are easier on your system. To help combat colds and flu, this recipe is an excellent and easy way to consume a variety of nutritious, fiber-rich vegetables in one serving, including sweet potatoes, carrots, eggplant and daikon. Cooked in a coconut milk-based broth and topped with chopped cilantro or Italian parsley, this fragrant plant-based stew makes for a delicious main dish!
Coconut, Lentil and Two Bean Stew
This hearty stew is protein-rich, full of nutrition and is the perfect bowl to warm up with on a cold, winter day!
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup cooked white navy beans
- 6 cups water
- 400ml coconut milk (I use Cha's Organics Premium Coconut Milk)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Japanese eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 plum tomato, finely diced
- 1 Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 daikon radish, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 1/2 tsp pink himalayan salt (or to taste)
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1 green Thai chile, halved
- Garnish with chopped cilantro or Italian parsley
- In a large stockpot, bring beans, 6 cups of water and coconut milk to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in turmeric, sweet potato, carrot, eggplant, tomato, potato, daikon, ginger and salt.
- Cook the stew for approximately 45 minutes to one hour.
- Stir in the shredded coconut.
- In a separate pan, heat coconut oil and cumin over medium heat. Add diced onion and chile, and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Stir the chile and cumin into the stew. Garnish with chopped cilantro or Italian parsley. Enjoy!
- Optional ingredients: 1 cup raisins and/or 1-2 cups spinach