Lemon Kale ChipsFebruary 10, 2015
Intro to RawFebruary 25, 2015
It’s a snowy and cold week ahead in Toronto but I’ve got warmer weather on the mind. If you need a taste of Key West but can’t head south, these key lime tarts are the definite answer to all your winter woes. Who knew avocados could be transformed into something so delicious? Well, apparently Tom Brady is already on the avocado as dessert bandwagon http://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-diet-2015-1 I can’t get enough of these 100% raw tarts! Makes 8 tarts or 12 mini tarts.
Key Lime Tarts
Equipment needed: High-speed blender, food processor, muffin or mini muffin tin. Makes 12 tarts or 24 mini tarts.
- 1. Crust
- 1 cup almonds, not soaked
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 8 dates, pitted (Medjool dates are recommended)
- Pinch sea salt
- 2. Filling
- 2 avocados
- ¾ cup fresh key lime juice, 6 medium limes
- ½ cup coconut nectar or natural sweetener of your choice
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- Unsweetened shredded coconut to garnish
- To make the crust, place the almonds in a food processor and process until ground. Add additional crust ingredients and combine. Divide crust mixture to fit 8 tarts or 12 mini-tarts.
- To make the filling, blend all filling ingredients except the shredded coconut until smooth. Pour filling over crust.
- Chill in the fridge or freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Garnish with shredded coconut and lime.
- Refrigerate for up to 2-3 days or freeze.