Hazelnut ButterFebruary 5, 2015
Key Lime TartsFebruary 19, 2015
Conquer Monday blues with greens. These lemon kale chips are a delicious light and healthy raw vegan snack to keep on hand throughout the day. You’ve probably heard of kale being referred to as a ‘superfood’. But do you know what that actually means? Certain foods are classified as ‘super’ because they are the most nutrient dense and benefit rich foods. Superfoods have at least a dozen unique properties and can aid in everything from strengthening your immune system to improving skin health, brain function, and energy levels. 1 cup of kale has nearly 3 grams of protein, 2.5 grams of fiber, vitamins A, C and K, iron and folate. Kale has more iron than beef per calorie and more calcium than milk per calorie. Possible health benefits of kale include improved bone health, digestion and healthy skin and hair.
Lemon Kale Chips
Equipment needed: dehydrator (I use the Excalibur 9 Tray model).
- 2-3 bunches chopped kale
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup natural sweetener (agave, maple syrup, or honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Wash kale and remove stems. The trick to de-stem kale is to take a stalk of kale, hold it by the stem with one hand and take your other hand around the stem above the leaves and pull your fingers along the stem to tear the leaves off. Pat kale dry and place in a large bowl.
- To make the dressing, whisk the lemon juice, sweetener, garlic and onion powders, and sea salt.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and massage kale to ensure the leaves are well dressed.
- Spread kale leaves on dehydrator tray and dry at 110 degrees Farenheit for about 6 hours until crispy.
- Kale chips can be stored in a sealed container at room temperature.