Black Bean Almond Butter Swirl BrowniesJanuary 17, 2017
Cheesy Butternut Squash Casserole with CrumbleJanuary 24, 2017
With the rise in poke bowls everywhere you turn these days, I wanted to make my own version without the raw fish. These Plant-Based Sushi Bowls with Baked Tofu are super easy to make, packed with raw vegetables, short grain brown rice and drizzled with a ginger sesame dressing. Fresh grated ginger is a must in this recipe and truly elevates the dressing. If you find it hard to consume raw vegetables in the winter, this bowl offers a fun, simple and delicious way to get your veggies in for optimal nutrition. I’m not a huge tofu lover but when it’s baked in this ginger sesame dressing, I’m all for it. I hope you’ll enjoy this clean, nutrient-rich and flavourful dish!
Plant-Based Sushi Bowls with Baked Tofu
These Plant-Based Sushi Bowls with Baked Tofu are an easy lunch or dinner option packed with nutrients, fibre and flavour!
- 1 cup short grain brown rice (black rice or quinoa also work well)
- 1 pack of organic extra firm tofu (350g)
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 radishes, shredded
- 1 sheet of nori, cut into large pieces
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Couple pinches of pink himalayan salt
- 4 tbsp tamari
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame
- 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- In a medium stockpot, combine short grain brown rice with 1 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat (with lid on) and let steam for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice tofu into 8 thick pieces.
- Thinly slice the cucumber, avocado and green onion. Grate the carrot and radishes. Cut the nori into large pieces (easiest to do this with a pair of scissors).
- To make the dressing, whisk tamari, rice vinegar, sesame and grated ginger in a bowl.
- Marinate the tofu in the ginger sesame dressing (save the rest of the dressing to add to the bowls).
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, arrange the tofu in an even layer.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing the tofu halfway, until the tofu is golden.
- Remove the tofu from the oven and set aside.
- Add 1 cup brown rice to each of your bowls. Top the rice with fresh veggies, baked tofu and nori. Sprinkle on sesame seeds. Use the remaining dressing and season with a pinch of pink salt. Enjoy!