Carrot, Cauliflower and Ginger SoupMarch 12, 2017
Vegetable Nori Rolls with Cauliflower RiceMarch 16, 2017
This Raw Lemon Poppy Seed Sunshine Cake is a burst of sunshine! It’s raw, plant-based, dairy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and absolutely delicious. The sweet yet tart Lemon Poppy Seed filling pairs well with the crust that’s made with almonds, unsweetened shredded coconut and medjool dates. If you’re wondering what gives the cake its bright and brilliant yellow colour, it’s all thanks to turmeric powder. You’ve likely been hearing a lot about turmeric these days and for good reason. Turmeric’s active component, curcumin, is anti-inflammatory and helps with pain management in the body. In order to better absorb turmeric, it’s recommended to combine it with healthy fats like we do in this recipe with virgin coconut oil or black pepper (I’ve left the black pepper out this time around, though!) Garnish the cake with fresh lemon slices, unsweetened shredded coconut or flowers. Enjoy!
Raw Lemon Poppy Seed Sunshine Cake
This Raw Lemon Poppy Seed Cake is raw, plant-based, dairy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and absolutely delicious! Recipe uses a 6" spring-form pan and a food processor or high-speed blender.
- 1 1/2 cups raw almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 8 medjool dates
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, recommended to be soaked 1/2 to 1 hour
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/4 cup almond milk or other nut milk
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- Pinch of pink himalayan salt
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/2 cup almond milk or other nut milk
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- First pulse the almonds in your food processor until finely ground.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until the crust ingredients are completely combined.
- Press the crust mixture into a 6" spring-form pan and set aside in the freezer while you get started on the next layer.
- Blend all lemon poppy seed layer ingredients, except for the poppy seeds, in a high-speed blender or food processor until completely smooth. Make sure that the nuts are completely blended. In a food processor, this will take at least 1 - 2 minutes to process.
- Add in poppy seeds and blend until just combined.
- Once blended, add this layer on top of the crust and freeze for 6 hours or overnight until set.
- Once the lemon poppy seed layer is frozen, prepare the top layer.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Pour this layer on top of the lemon poppy seed layer.
- Set in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Decorate the cake with lemon slices, unsweetened shredded coconut and/or flowers.
- Serve and enjoy!