Week of December 12th: Feel Good FindsDecember 16, 2016
Pistachio and Walnut Olive TapenadeDecember 21, 2016
This Sweet Potato Lasagna with Ricotta Filling is hands down one of my favourite comforting plant-based dishes to make for a crowd. It’s nutrient-rich, noodle-less and absolutely delicious! The lemon ricotta filling made with sunflower seeds, cashews, fresh basil, nutritional yeast and dried oregano pairs well with the baked sweet potato slices. Topped with a drizzle of creamy pesto, this warm and nourishing meal hits the spot.
Sweet Potato Lasagna with Ricotta Filling
A warm, comforting and delicious noodle-less lasagna that's dairy and gluten-free.
- 3 sweet potatoes (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds (recommended to be soaked overnight)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- Juice and zest from two lemons
- 4 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup cashews or walnuts
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp pink himalayan salt
- Water, as needed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Thinly slice the potatoes using a chef's knife or mandolin.
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, pulse all ingredients until a paste is formed. This might take several minutes to break down the sunflower seeds and cashews. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, process all ingredients until smooth. Add water as necessary to thin the pesto out. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Assemble the lasagna in a 9x13-inch dish. Layer the sweet potato slices in a single layer on the bottom of the dish.
- Use a spatula to top the sweet potato slices with 1/3 of the lemon ricotta filling.
- Top with another layer of sweet potatoes and ricotta until you have three layers of ricotta and four layers of sweet potato slices.
- Cover the lasagna dish with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and bake uncovered for an additional 20 minutes or until cooked completely through.
- Drizzle the top layer of the lasagna with pesto and add a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste. Enjoy!
- The lasagna can be made in advance and stored in the freezer until ready to serve.