Unbaked Gingersnap CookiesDecember 6, 2016
Week of December 5th: Feel Good FindsDecember 9, 2016
These Tex-Mex Loaded Avocados with Cheese Sauce are simple, can be made in less than 1/2 an hour and are full of flavour and comfort! Whenever I think of avocado, this video comes to mind. Anyone else? This recipe is made with only a few simple ingredients: red onion, black beans, quinoa, and avocados. Yet, it tastes SO damn good. The plant-based cheese sauce is of course dairy-free and gluten-free. The cheese recipe is versatile and can be used as a spread or dip on vegetables, grain bowls, bread, and so much more. Nutritional yeast gives the sauce its cheesy flavour. Not sure what nutritional yeast is? It’s a deactive yeast that’s grown on molasses and packed with vitamin B-12. I buy mine from Bob’s Red Mill. Enjoy the recipe and be sure to share your feedback in the comments!
Tex-Mex Loaded Avocados with Cheese Sauce
An avocado appetizer or main dish that's full of flavour and comfort. Makes six avocado halves.
- 3 avocados, pitted and skins removed
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tsp grapseed oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups black beans
- 1 cup microgreens or other greens of choice
- Green onions, sliced
- Cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup raw cashews, recommended to be soaked 1/2 hour but not necessary
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 clove garlic
- Additional water for blending
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients and process until smooth. Add water, 1 tbsp at a time, until you reach desired sauce consistency. The sauce will thicken over time.
- Add the quinoa to 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- In a large pan, heat grapeseed oil over medium heat. Once the oil starts to shimmer, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 - 6 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Add the black beans and quinoa. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Fill each of the avocado halves with the tex-mex filling. Top the avocados with greens and any additional toppings. Serve with the cheese sauce. Enjoy!
- Store leftover cheese sauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Consume within 3 - 4 days.