Pumpkin Seed Butter Brownie BitesDecember 19, 2017
Herbed Cauliflower Rice with Ranch ChipsJanuary 11, 2018
Warm your body and soul with this Cream of Tomato Soup! When it’s this cold outside, the best thing you can do is savour a warm bowl of soup that’s packed with nutrients. After all the holiday indulgences, you’re likely feeling a little drained. No need to regret any of the decisions you made over the holidays but it’s definitely important to move forward by nourishing your body with nutrient-dense whole foods, taking the rest you need and drinking lots of water. Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C and carotenes, especially lycopene, to help protect your immune system. Lycopene is a powerful phytonutrient that gives tomatoes it’s red pigment. It is known to be protective against breast, colon, lung, skin and prostate cancers in addition to lowering the risk of heart disease, cataracts and macular degeneration. Lycopene helps prevent these diseases and other health risks by neutralizing harmful free radicals before they can do damage to cellular structures. Notably, you get up to five times as much lycopene from cooked tomatoes as you do from raw tomates because the processing releases more lycopene from the plant’s cells. In this plant-powered soup, raw cashews makes the soup extra creamy. Instead of topping your soup with traditional croutons, use our Smoky Cheeze Chips to give the soup some extra crunch!
Cream of Tomato Soup with Smoky Cheeze Croutons
A warm and delicious plant-powered soup with tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and raw cashews. Top the dish off with fresh basil, Smoky Cheeze Chips and a drizzle of olive oil.
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked (1/2 hour to 2 hours)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28oz. can of whole peeled tomatoes with its juices
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (if using dry rather than soaked in oil, soak the tomatoes in water for 15 minutes)
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Optional toppings: fresh basil, Smoky Cheeze Chips, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- In a large stockpot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. When the oil starts to shimmer, sauté the onions and garlic until translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the cashews and broth and blend until smooth. Add the onion/garlic mixture, tomatoes (and juices), sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste and spices. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the tomato mixture from the blender back into the stockpot. Simmer the soup on medium-high heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve the soup right away with fresh basil, our Smoky Cheeze Chips, and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!