Salted Caramel and Chocolate PopsiclesJune 30, 2017
Purple Kale and Chickpea Tahini SaladJuly 5, 2017
Happy Canada Day! It’s the big 150 for our country and we’re celebrating the only way we know how, with food of course! Not just any foods, but one of our all-time favourite childhood breakfasts… pancakes! To be exact, Red Velvet Buckwheat Pancakes topped with a slightly tart berry chia sauce and our Chocolate Superfood Coconut Chips.
Our original intentions for these pancakes was that the beet would turn them red, but unfortunately that didn’t happen (likely because of the buckwheat flour used). However, the addition of the beet provides vitamin C, iron and magnesium and is hidden in the batter, leaving the pancakes tasting chocolatey and sweet. If you do want to try to turn the batter red, try using a lighter coloured flour such as light buckwheat flour or oat flour.
Kick-start your morning of the long weekend (and celebrating Canada) with these (red) pancakes and we guarantee they will be a new family favourite!
Red Velvet Buckwheat Pancakes
Healthy, delicious and gluten free plant-powered pancakes packed with antioxidants and nutrients! Recipe yields approx. 15 pancakes.
- 1 medium beet, washed, steamed and peeled
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 ¾ cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Red Berry Chia Sauce (recipe follows)
- Chocolate Superfood Coconut Chips
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup strawberries
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- *can use fresh or frozen berries
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Heat a large pan or griddle on the stove top over medium-low heat. Once the pan is hot, add approximately ¼ cup of batter to make one pancake. Cook until bubbles begin to appear in the batter and the edges look dry. Flip over the pancake and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Repeat until all batter is used up.
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and heat on stove top over medium heat until the berries are soft and mashed together.
- Top the pancakes with the red berry chia sauce, chocolate superfood coconut chips, any other toppings of choice and enjoy!