Mango, Berry and Spirulina Pastel SmoothiesApril 13, 2017
Decadent Raw Vegan Salted Caramel PuddingApril 21, 2017
These Spiced Chickpea Salad Lettuce Wraps make the perfect appetizer, meal or snack option. This is a plant-based alternative to tuna, chicken or egg salad. Chickpeas are loaded with protein, fiber, manganese and folate. After mashing the chickpeas, you’ll stir in diced veggies, including celery and green onions, which give the salad a nice crunch, as well as cumin and cayenne to spice things up. You’ll serve the Spiced Chickpea Salad in lettuce wraps, using either romaine hearts, Boston or Bibb lettuce, or feel free to eat it as a sandwich, on its own as a snack or with crackers and crudités. Enjoy!
Spiced Chickpea Salad Lettuce Wraps
A delicious plant-based, gluten free, nut free and protein-rich appetizer, meal or snack.
- 1 can (14 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp vegan mayonnaise (such as Vegenaise) or homemade mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 5 - 6 lettuce leaves (such as romaine hearts, Boston or Bibb lettuce)
- Optional toppings: shredded carrots, microgreens
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and mash with the back of a cup, fork or using a potato masher.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Taste and adjust the spices and salt, as desired.
- Divide the spiced chickpea salad into lettuce wraps and serve with toppings, such as shredded carrots, microgreens, hemp seeds, or other veggies. Enjoy!
- The Spiced Chickpea Salad can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for a few days.