Broccoli Crust Pizza with Jalapeno CheezeMay 10, 2017
Grilled Romaine Vegan Caesar SaladJune 16, 2017
As the first meal of the day, breakfast should never be boring. Start your day off right with Spirulina Mint Chocolate Chia Pudding! This healthy breakfast or dessert option features three of our favourite superfoods: chia seeds, spirulina and raw cacao. Chia seeds are incredibly nutrient dense with omega-3 fats, protein, lots of fiber, iron, manganese, magnesium, calcium and vitamin C. As a rich source of fiber, chia is an excellent breakfast option that supports digestive health and allows individuals to feel satiated quickly, as chia seeds absorb water and expand in the stomach when consumed. The antioxidant-rich spirulina in this recipe will also give you a boost of energy and a healthy dose of iron, vitamin A and vitamin B12. We also can’t forget to mention that the raw cacao in this recipe is also loaded with antioxidants, as well as magnesium, iron and chromium. Have you ever noticed that you feel happy after eating cacao? If so, that feeling can be attributed to anandamide, known as “the bliss chemical,” which is found in raw cacao and can help you feel happy and wonderful! Let this power trio of chia, spirulina and cacao set the mood for the day. Enjoy!
Spirulina Mint Chocolate Chia Pudding
A delicious and healthy breakfast or dessert option packed with healthy fats, magnesium, and antioxidants!
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup almond milk or other nut milk
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup almond milk or other nut milk
- 1 tsp spirulina powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Raw cacao nibs and mint leaves to garnish
- In a mason jar with the lid on or a small bowl, shake or mix ingredients until completely combined. Let the pudding set in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight.
- In a food processor or blender, blend ingredients until completely smooth. Add more spirulina, if necessary, to achieve desired green colour. Set in the refrigerator while the chia pudding firms up.
- In a mason jar or glass, layer the chocolate chia pudding with the matcha mint layer on top. Garnish with raw cacao nibs or fresh mint leaves. Enjoy!
- You could use matcha powder instead of spirulina or use a combination of both powders to achieve your desired green colour in this recipe.