Super Spirulina Iron-Rich Smoothie BowlJanuary 13, 2017
Plant-Based Sushi Bowls with Baked TofuJanuary 18, 2017
I was craving a decadent brownie for two days when I finally rose to the occasion and made these Black Bean Almond Butter Swirl Brownies! The result? One very happy human being. They’re sweetened with a combination of coconut nectar and coconut sugar (although you can easily substitute with your preferred natural sweetener of choice). This is my first time experimenting with black beans in a dessert and I’m shocked that I haven’t tried this before! Black beans give the brownies a fudgey decadence without the need for flour. With 2 cups of black beans, the recipe has 30 grams of protein and 30 grams of fibre total. The almond butter swirl gives the recipe added richness along with healthy fats and more protein. If you’re going to enjoy a sweet treat, why not enjoy something that has a combination of healthy fats, fibre and protein? This combination will help manage blood sugar levels when consuming sweets so you won’t experience huge sugar crashes that will affect your overall mood and behaviour. I’m definitely going to be making this healthier dessert option again and again to satisfy my sweet tooth. I hope you’ll enjoy these Black Bean Almond Butter Swirl Brownies as much as I do!
Black Bean Almond Butter Swirl Brownies
A decadently delicious plant-based brownie that's gluten-free, refined sugar-free and packed with fibre and protein!
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 5 tbsp water
- 2 cups black beans
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 3 tbsp raw almond butter
- 3 tbsp dairy-free dark chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)
- Optional: 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease an 8x8-inch square baking pan (I use coconut oil to grease the pan).
- In a food processor, combine the flax and water and let stand for two minutes.
- Add all ingredients to the food processor except for the almond butter and chocolate chips. Process until smooth, approximately 2 - 3 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan.
- Using a spoon, add little dollops of almond butter on top of the batter. Use a toothpick to swirl the almond butter into the batter. Top the brownies with chocolate chips.
- Bake the brownies for 25 minutes.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and let cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store the brownies in an airtight container. Best consumed within a few days.