Raw Candy Cane Beet Ravioli with Ricotta FillingApril 27, 2017
Cauliflower crust pizza is old news. But Broccoli Crust Pizza with Jalapeno Cheeze? Bring it on! I’m surprised this hasn’t become a ‘thing’ yet. After seeing cauliflower crust pizza after cauliflower crust pizza populate the Interwebs, I was curious to know if cauliflower’s cruciferous cousin, broccoli, could work just as well as the main superhero in a pizza crust. NEWS FLASH: it does and it makes for an absolutely delicious pizza! While you are free to use your creative judgement in selecting toppings for this broccoli crust pizza, I highly recommend making it with the jalapeno cheeze, leeks and crispy kale. In addition to being 100% dairy and gluten free, this pizza is also loaded with fiber, vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K, vitamin C, B-vitamins, folate, chromium and magnesium. Enjoy!
Broccoli Crust Pizza with Jalapeno Cheeze
A delicious, gluten free and dairy free alternative to pizza! You will need a food processor to make this recipe.
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- Pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked 1/2 hour
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 - 1 tsp turmeric or to desired taste
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup leeks, sliced
- 2 kale leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes and/or 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Optional: edible flowers
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor, first process broccoli florets until pureed. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth. Taste the broccoli dough and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Line a baking sheet or pizza stone with parchment paper. Spread the dough into a large pizza round, approximately 1/2-inch thick.
- Bake the broccoli crust at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Flip the crust half way through so that it's cooked evenly throughout.
- While the broccoli crust is in the oven, make the jalapeno cheeze sauce. In a food processor or high-speed blender, blend all ingredients until smooth.
- After the crust has been in the oven for 20 minutes, remove it from the oven and top with cheeze sauce and leeks. Reduce heat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and add chopped kale. Bake for another 2 minutes or until the kale is crispy.
- Should you not want to use gluten-free all purpose flour in the crust, it is recommended to use an additional 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or 1/4 cup almond flour.