Kale Walnut Pesto
This is an excellent superfood pesto to keep in your back pocket and freezer. We love it on our Fancy Roasted Potato Spring Salad or on chickpea spaghetti for dinner in a pinch.
If you want to make this nut free, substitute the ½ cup of walnuts for hemp hearts which will add a great nutty flavour and up the protein content of the sauce.
We also use this in our Spring Chickpea Pasta and recommend as a great savoury Toast Topper!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 4 cups packed curly kale
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup parsley
- ½ cup hemp hearts
- ½ cup walnuts (omit & double hemp hears for nut free)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 small cloves garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- Cracked pepper
- Pinch of chili flakes
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add all ingredients into a blender or mixer reserving ½ cup of olive oil.
- Pulse until ingredients broken down and turning into a paste.
- Slowly add the olive oil either with mixer on low or putting in amounts, scrapping at the slides and then adding remaining olive oil.
- Extra pesto can be frozen for up to 3 months.