Kale Walnut Pesto
This is an excellent superfood pesto to keep in your back pocket and freezer. We love it on our Fancy Roasted Potato Spring Salad or on chickpea spaghetti for dinner in a pinch.
If you want to make this nut free, substitute the ½ cup of walnuts for hemp hearts which will add a great nutty flavour and up the protein content of the sauce.
We also use this in our Spring Chickpea Pasta and recommend as a great savoury Toast Topper!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 4 cups packed curly kale
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup parsley
- ½ cup hemp hearts
- ½ cup walnuts (omit & double hemp hears for nut free)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 small cloves garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- Cracked pepper
- Pinch of chili flakes
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add all ingredients into a blender or mixer reserving ½ cup of olive oil.
- Pulse until ingredients broken down and turning into a paste.
- Slowly add the olive oil either with mixer on low or putting in amounts, scrapping at the slides and then adding remaining olive oil.
- Extra pesto can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Nutritional Benefits of this Superfood Packed Pesto
- Bursting with antioxidants such asbeta-carotene and vitamin C, as well as various flavonoids and polyphenols. Antioxidants help counteract oxidative damage by free radicals in the body.
- A source of lutein and zeaxanthin, nutrients that give kale its deep dark green colour and protect against macular degeneration and improve eye health.
- Contains folate, a B vitamin that is key for brain development and healthy cell function
Parsley and Cilantro (Coriander)
- Contains the antioxidants vitamins C and A. Vitamin A supports the eyes and bones while vitamin C boost the immune system and help the body fight off illness.
- Flavonoids, anti-inflammatory and immune-supporting antioxidants
Hemp Hearts & Walnuts
- Omega 3 essential fatty acids are the essential building blocks of our brain & crucial for learning & memory.
- 10g protein per 3 tbsp for hemp seeds
- Improved cardiovascular wellbeing by lowering LDL (bad cholesterol) and raising HDL (good cholesterol)
- Boost the function of the immune system
- Anti-Bacterial properties and antioxidants
- Contains vitamin B6, boost mood and immunity
- Source of complete protein, meaning it contains all 9 essential amino acids
- Rich in B Vitamins, especially B12. Vitamin B12 is needed for a healthy nervous system, DNA production, energy metabolism and the creation of red blood cells