Kale and Apple Salad
Let’s make holiday salads a thing.
Make our delicious kale and apple salad for your next holiday side dish. With crisp apples, crunchy nuts, and an anti-inflammatory dressing that packs a punch, we are sure your guest will love this light and festive salad.
Why is massaging kale an important step?
Massaging kale helps to break down the tough fibrous leaf giving the kale easier to digest and easier to eat. The trick is not to over massage. Lightly massage the kale with olive oil, when you’re finished the kale should be a vibrant green and feel softer in your hands.
- 1 bunch of curly kale (deveined)
- 1 apple of your choice I used Gala
- 1 small sweet potato
- 2 tsp curry
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Pinch of salt
- Cracked pepper
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup walnuts roasted
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts roasted
- 1/4 cup fresh red currents
- Up to 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- If your nuts are raw, roast over medium low heat in small cast iron and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl tear kale into bite sized pieces. Drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil and massage into kale.
- Preheat oven to 375. Cut sweet potato into cubes.
- In a large bowl season with curry, turmeric, cayenne salt and pepper. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and toss to coat.
- Place in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until fork tender. While potato is roasting, slice apple and avocado.
- Once all of the elements are complete, assemble your salad!