Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
This savoury recipe is a crowd pleaser and a perfect satiating addition to any Fall feast. It is especially nutritious with high protein and high fiber lentils and vitamin A rich sweet potatoes. This one pairs well with a long nap!
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stick celery, chopped
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 8 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp Vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
For the topping
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of paprika
- Rinse the lentils and cover with water in a small pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer until done (about 15 minutes). Add more water as necessary to keep them submerged while simmering. They are done when the lentils are soft but not falling apart. Rinse and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F.
- In a large high sided pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat until shimmering and then add the child flakes.
- Sauté for 2 minutes then add the diced onions. Sweat the onions for 5 minutes and then add the carrots and celery and continue to sauté for 5 more minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds more. Add in mushrooms. Season with sea salt and cracked pepper. Cook until mushrooms soften.
- Add cooked lentils folding everything together. Transfer to a greased 9x11 baking dish.
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook until for tender. Drain and place back in the pot. Add butter, salt and cracked pepper.
- Use electric hand beaters to whip sweet potatoes spread evenly over lentil mushroom layer. Sprinkle with sea salt, cracked pepper and paprika.
- Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes.
Tagged: Main Dishes