As far as summer cravings go, this one is at the top of our list: Watermelon Gazpacho!I t's also just really fun to say... but even more fun to eat! With so much flavour from the basil, jalapeño and chili flakes, combined with hydrating and thirst quenching watermelon and cucumber, this is a dish to become totally obsessed with this summer. I know we are!
Ingredients (makes 10 cups)
- 4 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1 English cucumber, diced, reserve half
- 1 red bell pepper, diced, reserve half
- 3 red heirloom tomatoes, diced, reserve half
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp jalapeño, diced and deseeded
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1 handful basil, roughly chopped
- 3 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- Cracked pepper
- 1-2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced or cubed
- Add watermelon, half the cucumber, half the red pepper, half the heirloom tomatoes, shallot, garlic, jalapeño, basil and chili flakes. Pulse to combine.
- Add red wine vinegar, salt and cracked pepper and the remaining vegetables. Taste for seasoning and adjust to your taste.
- Pour gazpacho into a large bowl or measuring cup with a lid. Place in fridge over night.
- When ready to serve, stir the gazpacho well and ladle into serving bowls.
- Add avocado, green onion, a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of flaky salt and cracked pepper.