Apple Skillet Cake
We’re feeling all the apple energy this week. Put those baking skills to work with this decadent Apple Skillet Cake!
This baked dessert is full of warming holiday vibe spices including nutmeg and cinnamon. Topped with a dreamy creamy cashew vanilla icing, this one is delightful! This recipe is a low sugar dessert with no refined sugar, you can feel good about enjoying a slice as a healthy snack and naturally sweetened dessert!
✨ 2 flax eggs
✨ 1/2 cup cashew milk
✨ 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
✨ 1/4 cup olive oil
✨ 1/4 cup maple syrup
✨ 1/4 cup coconut sugar
✨ 1/2 cup apple sauce, (steam and purée to make your own)
✨ 3/4 cup apple, small dice
✨ 1 apple, sliced
✨ 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
✨ 1 cup gluten free flour
✨ 1/2 cup buckwheat four
✨ 1/2 cup almond flour
✨ 1 tsp baking powder
✨ 1 tsp cinnamon
✨ 1/2 tsp nutmeg
✨ 1/4 tsp salt
✨ 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked in hot water 1 hour)
✨ 1/4-1/2 cup water
✨ 1 tbsp coconut kefir
✨ 1 tbsp maple syrup
✨ 1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 9” cast iron pan.
2. Make your 2 flax eggs and set aside for 15 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, mix all wet ingredients together except for sliced apple and walnuts.
4. Start adding in dry ingredients, stirring in completely. Mixture will be thick. Spread batter into cast iron skillet.
5. Thinly slice apple and press into batter arranging as you desire! Press walnuts around the apple.
6. Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. While the cake is baking, make your icing. Drain soaked cashews and place in high speed blender.
8. Add the water, coconut kefir, maple syrup and vanilla and blend on high until icing is smooth.
9. When ready to serve cake, drizzle with icing, slice and enjoy!