Butternut Squash Stuffed Pasta Shells
We are about the cold weather comfort food so we are digging into this creamy goodness recipe that is packed with a fantastic amount of plant-based protein from the tofu “ricotta” filling.
Butternut squash is an excellent source of fiber, vitamins A, C, E and B and includes calcium, magnesium and zinc. You can feel good about enjoying this nutrient packed creamy comfort dish, healthy eating with all the flavour!
Tofu Ricotta Ingredients
- 1 package tofu, patted dry
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Cracked pepper
- 2 cups roasted butternut squash
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 1 cup pasta water to thin
- Sea salt
- Cracked pepper
Additional Topping Options:
- Crumbled walnuts
- Fried sage
- Shaved vegan parmesan
Method - Tofu Ricotta
1. In a food processor, pulse tofu. Add in all other ingredients. Pulse to combine. Taste and season.
2. Cover and refrigerate while you make other items.
Method - Pasta & Sauce
1. Cook your pasta being sure to keep al dente as gluten free pasta can get soft very fast!
2. In a small sauté pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Place onion and garlic in pan and fry for several minutes until onion is soft.
3. Place squash, cooked onion, garlic, mustard, nutritional yeast, turmeric, curry, chilli flakes into a high-speed blender. Pour cashew milk and 1/2 cup of pasta water over. Blend on high until you get a smooth consistency.
4. Add more pasta water to thin out sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
Method - Assembly
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Coat a large baking dish with coconut or olive oil.
3. Ladle sauce into base of baking dish.
4. Carefully stuff each shell with approximately 1 tbsp of ricotta. Place shells in baking dish open side up. Sprinkle crumbled walnuts over the shells and pour remaining sauce over the shells.
5. Shave vegan parmesan on top and place in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and garnish!
Tagged: Main Dishes