Carrot Cake Banana Trifle
Spring into some beautiful desserts with this vibrant and delicious dessert with rich plant based custard, crunchy Banana Granola with adaptogen root Maca, and layered with carrot cake, fresh bananas and chia berry compote.
Perfect for the spring holidays or even a birthday surprise this recipe is full of healthy fats, potassium, vitamin C and fiber!
- 225 gr raspberries
- 220 gr blueberries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup Rawcology Grain Free Banana Granola
- 1 carrot cake baked in 8x8 pan (recipe inspiration here)
- 1 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 4 cups nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 can of vegan whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Bake your favourite carrot cake in a 8x8 pan, we love this recipe from Minimalist Baker, set aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled cut the cake into small squares and set aside. You can do this the day before you compose the trifle if desired.
- To make the berry compote, place raspberries and blueberries in a small pot and bring to a simmer.
- Use the back of a fork or a masher to break down the berries. Once fruit has broken down, add chia seeds, stir to combine and remove from heat. Set aside to cool completely and then transfer to a jar with a lid.
- In a medium sized pot add plant based milk, cornstarch, coconut sugar, turmeric and salt. Bring it to a gentle bubble whisking the entire time.
- Reduce heat to medium low and keep whisking.
- Custard should start to thicken after about 10 minutes. You are looking for the texture of a creamy pudding. Once custard has thickened, add vanilla.
- To make whipped cream, scoop cram into a deep sided bowl, add vanilla and maple syrup.
- Use an electric hand mixer to whip cream into soft peaks.
- To compose add carrot cake squares into the bottom of the trifle dish (you could use several glasses for individual servings also!), pour half of the custard over the cake, layer wtih slice bananas and Rawcology Banana Granola, and compote. Top that layer with more cake, more custard and then top with whipped cream, compote, banana and Banana Granola!