Chia Berry Jam Cookies
Enjoying these Chia Berry Jam Cookies while slowing down these last few weeks.
Get the recipe by @wifemamafoodie below!
- ½ cup vegan butter, softened
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1½ cups gluten-free flour blend + extra for dusting
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ tsp pink salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups strawberries, chopped
- ½ cup raspberries
- 2 – 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or orange juice
- 3 – 4 tbsp chia seeds
- In a large mixing bowl, combine softened butter + maple syrup. Mix until well blended. Add flours, salt + vanilla. Blend until well incorporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Roll dough between two large pieces of parchment or wax paper, about ¼-inch thick.
- To make the cookie sandwiches, you'll need two of the same sized cookie cutter, with a smaller cutter for the "window". Cut one regular cookie + one cookie with a smaller cut out in the centre for each sandwich. Place cut outs 1 or 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. If dough is too fragile to transfer, use a spatula or refrigerate until cold and you should be able to handle it better. Re-roll + repeat cutting with remaining dough.
- If you didn't already refrigerate the dough, refrigerate for at least 15 to 20 minutes. This helps the cookies hold their shape better.
- Ten minutes before baking, preheat oven to 350° F. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned + centre is set. The cookies will be pretty light in color. Allow to cool slightly on the pan + then transfer cookies to a rack to cool thoroughly.
- Place a small dollop of chia jam onto the bottom cookie + top with the cookie with the cut out. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days.
- Combine fruit, sweetener + juice in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, until mixture becomes bubbly + fruit begins to break down. Mash slightly to break up any large chunks.
- Remove from the heat + stir in chia seeds. Let sit until mixture begins to thicken. Cool completely before filling cookies. Enjoy! 💚