Creamy Plant Based Sweet Potato Soup
Lean into "Soup Season" with this delicious Plant Based Creamy Sweet Potato Soup recipe.
Make a big batch, freeze it and win the day! This recipe is filled with so much flavour from ginger, cumin, fennel, curry powder and loaded with a ton of nutritious powerhouse veggies.
Bonus this blood sugar balancing bowl is a perfect addition to a healthy and hearty fall menu.
Your immune system, blood sugar and taste buds will thank you!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, diced
- 1 inch piece ginger, finely diced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 celery, diced
- 5 cups sweet potato, chopped
- 4 cups water or broth
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Pink salt and cracked pepper
- Heat olive oil and chili flakes in a large heavy bottomed dutch oven or pot. Add onion, garlic and ginger and sauté until onion starts to soften.
- Add spices to the pan and toast for 1 minute.
- Add carrot, celery and sweet potato. Season with salt and cracked pepper. Toss to coat. Add a splash of water to get things moving.
- Cook veggies for several minutes and then add water or broth. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and partially cover with a lid.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes until the sweet potato is fork tender then add chickpeas and coconut milk and continue to cook for 10 more minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup or transfer into a blender. Add more seasoning as desired and top with a crumble of Rawcology Smoky Cheeze Coconut Chips, pumpkin seeds, micro greens and a dollop of yogurt or sour cream. Enjoy!
Tagged: Main Dishes