Matzo Lasagna Pie
Happy Passover, friends! ✨
This creamy loaded vegan Matzo Lasagna Pie tastes as good as it looks. Made with cauliflower, potatoes, raw cashews and gluten free matzo crackers. 🌱
- 2 heads garlic (roasted)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups veggie broth
- 1 head cauliflower cut into chunks
- 5-6 small potatoes halved
- 1 tsp oregano (dried)
- 1 1/2 cup raw Cashews soaked over night
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 6-8 gluten-free matzoh crackers
- 1 1/2 cups cashew milk
- Salt to taste
- Cracked pepper
- Paprika to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To make the roasted garlic, cut about a 1/2-inch off of the tops of 2 heads of garlic. You should be able to see the tops of the cloves inside their peels. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon of olive oil per head. Wrap the heads individually in foil, and bake for 50-60 minutes. The garlic cloves should be golden and soft when fully roasted. Set aside to cool. Peel the roasted garlic cloves from their skins, or squeeze them out of their skins. Set aside the roasted garlic.
- Lower the oven heat to 375°F.
- In a sauce pot, bring the vegetable broth, potatoes, and cauliflower to a boil. Let simmer for 15 minutes, until the potatoes and cauliflower are completely soft. Drain the broth over a fine sieve and reserve for later use, and add to the pot the olive oil, the oregano, and the cloves from one head of roasted garlic. 5. Mash the cauliflower and potatoes with a potato masher until they resemble mashed potatoes. Ladle in some veggie broth if potato/cauliflower mixture is dry. Some chunks are fine. Season with salt and cracked pepper.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together the cashews, water, salt, and the remaining garlic cloves from the second head of roasted garlic. Blend until completely smooth.
- In a 9x13 pan, pour 1/3 cup cashew cream over the bottom of the pan. Place matzoh crackers on top, forming a single layer. It’s fine if you have to break the matzoh crackers to fit your pan.
- After the matzoh layer, pour 1/4 cup cashew milk over the matzoh to moisten it a bit. Then, add the layers in this order on top of the matzoh: 1/3 of the mashed cauliflower potato, 1/4 of the spinach, 1/4 cup cashew cream. Season each layer with sea salt and cracked pepper.
- Repeat the layering 2 more times. Then place your final layer of matzoh crackers on top.
- Finish with a layer of cashew milk, a layer of spinach, and cashew cream. Sprinkle top layer with paprika.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then, bake uncovered for 5 more minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Tagged: Main Dishes