Strawberry Rhubarb Pop-Tarts
If you hear the word “rhubarb” and automatically think of “pie”, you’re not alone. It’s #NationalStrawberryRhubarbDay, and we’re celebrating with Strawberry Rhubarb filled Pop Tarts.
Pop tarts are a snack that brings back childhood memories, and that is exactly why we recreated the classic pop-tart with a healthier twist. With fresh strawberries, sweet maple syrup, and tart rhubarb, these vegan tarts are better than the real deal!
Let’s talk about the Benefits of Rhubarb!
- 4 cups rhubarb, sliced in 1/4” pieces
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Pinch salt
Place rhubarb and strawberries in a small pot over medium heat.
Cook for 7 minutes until the fruit starts to break down.
Continue to cook adding in maple syrup and salt.
Mash with a potato masher or with a fork. Remove from heat.
Stir in chia seeds and allow for it to cool.
Transfer to a jar with a lid and place in the fridge while you prepare the pastry.
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp pink pitaya superfood powder (Beet powder would work too)
- Rawcology Matcha Coconut Chips
- Preheat oven to 375F
- For the pop-tarts, roll out your favourite pie dough into a large rectangular shape. Use a pizza cutter to cut your shapes. You should be able to get 8 rectangles out of your ball of dough.
- Spread around 1.5 Tbsp of jam on half the rectangles, leaving space around the edges without jam so you'll be able to seal them.
- Top with another rectangular dough and press down the edges with a fork to seal them.
- Line up finished pop tarts on a parchment paper lined baking sheet poke a few holes in the tops of each pop tart with a fork.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden.
- Wait for the pop tarts to cool completely before glazing.